Tuesday, August 29

it's a day, and then there's tomorrow

The Isthmus published it's Annual Manual magazine which features Madison's Favorites for the year. Picked as the number one favorite local content blog by area readers, Dane101 is far and away the most informative and all-inclusive site to find out the whos, whys, wheres, whiches, whimmies, and shakes. Today, they've reposted an essay I wrote on May 18th, 2006 as a remembrance of New Orleans. Please read it, or half of it, or at least the first six or seven paragraphs, if you get the chance.

I've got two pounds of frozen collard greens dethawing in a grocery bag under my desk. I've got a homemade kind of good-looking, really good-smelling King Cake in my fridge at home. I stayed up until 1 a.m. chopping celery, peppers, onions, and garlic, until Pete got home from the flower shop, as they say, and then he helped me. I woke up an hour early this morning to wash the beans and fire up the crock pot and combine last night's chopped vegetables, about half of the huge pot of light reds that had been soaking during my slumber, some thyme, a couple bay leaves, and four hambones. Actually, the package says "pork neckbones," but I figure that it's the same thing. It better be the same thing. When I get home: rice, cornbread, greens, and deep fried pickles. I'm so hungry to get things going; I will definitely leave work by four today. Anyway. If your hungry, too, you should eat with us. Anyway.



Despite what Nagin says or what Bush wants to make it seem like:

They are not okay.

They are not okay.

They are not okay.

They are not okay.

They are not okay.

They are not okay.

They are not okay.

They are not okay.

They are not okay.

They are not okay.

They are not okay.

They are not okay.

They are not okay.

They are not okay.

They are not okay.

They are not okay.

They are not okay.

They are not okay.

They are not okay.

They are not okay.

They are not okay.

They are not okay.

They are not okay.

They are not okay.

They are not okay.

Don't believe me? Google search "we are not okay" and see what that search engine spits out.

3 comments:

The CDP. said...

I admire your passion. Good job.

Judy Thorne said...

Thank you for getting the word out!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for spreading the word. All of the folks along the shattered part of the Gulf Coast need support and kind thoughts. (We don't seem to be getting it from the guv'mit.)