I'm not too into math, science, computers, or anything else boring. The GirlPower! website and FEMA's kid-friendly definition tell me that I'll never make a good hurricane tracker, or "one who hunts hurricanes", because of these disinterests. I don't live along a susceptible coastline. I don't own property along the oceans or the Gulf. I don't even really care for hot weather all that much. I am safe and sound in the Midwest. Look at all the reasons I have to not care about hurricanes.
However, I do like some cities along the coastlines. Plus, I like some people in some cities along the coastlines. And I won't completely write-off owning property in the future, and it might be somewhere in a susceptible area. I want the cities that have been affected by tropical disturbances in the past to come back. I want these areas to have ample time to rebuild without distraction. I want to pay attention, not like last time when I didn't even know until it already hit land. I have slightly obsessive tendencies and too much free-time at my day job. Obviously, I really don't have any choice but to care about about hurricanes. They're also interesting as hell.
“FOR THE NORTH ATLANTIC... CARIBBEAN SEA AND THE GULF OF MEXICO...TODAY MARKS THE END OF THE 2006 ATLANTIC HURRICANE SEASON. Hurricane season officially starts every June and ends at the of November. Already this year, there lies a named storm on the books, Subtropical Storm Andrea. She was the first subtropical storm in May in almost twenty-five years. The National Hurricane Center classified her as "subtropical" instead of "tropical" because, most simply put, she happened before the official hurricane season started and because she didn't really have much of a center going on.
I've been paying attention for about a year now, and it's not a lonely task, but there's enough value in knowing what's going on to want to open up discourse about it. Tomorrow, it begins again. We waded through the 2006 season fairly unscathed, my breath held through all of it. There were times when things came close, when people were talking about another big one. Besides, we've all seen An Inconvenient Truth , we try to buy green, we're aware of the Atlantic Ocean's control over the coming of the next Ice Age.
More Friday. Until then, bask in the beauty of my charts.

3 comments:
This is cool. I would much rather get news of my immenent destruction from you than the clowns on TV news.
At least you'd make me laugh about it.
That was the best comment ever.
That was the second best comment ever.
Post a Comment